Friday, December 18, 2009

Paul writes

I love the Library of Congress. The reference staff has always been terrific. I
love the slanted tables where your books can cascade onto the floor if you are
not careful. I love the main reading room under the rotunda. I love the
excellent quality photocopiers. I love the reopened researcher's entrance and
the sense of privilege it bestows. Recently I had dealings with Margaret
Kieckhefer, who created a TIF image of a plate of a nineteenth century book for
me, and the job was done delayed by reshelving. A few days ago the book came
in and now I have the plate, perfectly scanned. Without the LoC, by the way, I
would be stuck with our UMD library, which has its charms, and is personable
and efficient, but which has a thin and worn selection of Africana.

No comments:

Post a Comment