Monday, August 2, 2021

DC Permafrost

About 10 years ago, I was going to start a blog called "Permafrost" to document the freezing indoor summer temperatures across DC, but I never got myself mobilized. The Library of Congress' Main Reading Room was going to be my first case study, but it is just one example of the insane air-conditioning experienced across DC offices.

Once the Main Reading Room opened again, I jumped at the possibility of ordering books from the general collection for the first time since early 2020. However, it was bitter cold in the Main Reading Room. I told others that it was colder than the Arctic. I forgot and only brought a sweater, but it wasn't enough. At lunch time, I went out into the immensely hot, mid-day sun, but could not warm up enough to return to the Main Reading Room. So, I just went home. 

When I thought about creating the blog, one colleague in the Main Reading Room daily wore a down vest, scarf, and gloves. More recently another colleague wrote: 

I could never understand why they do this. I used to bring not only sweater and pants, but gloves and scarf. It would still take me half an hour to defrost after I left. And I also took refuge in the European room 🙂 🙂 (although I found it cold there, too) 

I am much happier now that the European Reading Room has opened, which is warmer. (The Hispanic Reading Room is also a more rational temperature.) My sweater keeps me warm enough. They even have a thermometer in the room, so there is some monitoring. I also very much like the community in the European Reading Room. 

Take away: Stop the insane air conditioning!!!

P.S. This might seem like a strange complaint, since the pandemic expelled us from these hyper-air-conditioned buildings. Now is exactly the right time finally to halt this insane air conditioning. 

P.P.S. Unfortunately, the European Reading Room is too cold today (8/2/2021)! I'm leaving earlier to escape and warm up. I saw that one of the employees has a big down coat in their office. Just one of more sign of how cold it can get indoors during the summer here in DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment