Wednesday, August 4, 2021

DC Permafrost (Part 2)

 As a result of encouragement from my colleague in Austria, I brought my thermometer to the Library of Congress yesterday and today. Today, it is 71 degrees in the Main Reading Room. I have two sweaters on, and wished that I owned some finger-less gloves because my hands are quite cold. The readers around me have sweaters and jean jackets on. One employee has a long shirt and wool sweater vest. Yesterday, it was 72 degrees in the European Reading Room, which seemed to be an especially cold day there. It is 77 degrees outside today. 

Here is a summary of the temperature readings:

  • LoC Main Reading Room: 71 degrees (8/4)
  • LoC European Reading Room: 72 degrees (8/3), 73 degrees, much better (8/4)
  • Metro Bus #36: 71 degrees, really cold (8/3)
  • Silver-line Metro: 75 degrees, actually somewhat ok (8/4)
  • DC Public Library, Southeast Branch: 74 degrees (8/4)
  • Outdoor temperature: 77 degrees, muggy. 

Take away: Stop the insane air conditioning!

P.S. How about setting indoor air conditioning at 73 degrees or, even better, at 75 degrees?

No comments:

Post a Comment